Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ask Seek Knock!

Whew! It's been ten days since my last post and I have so many drafted entries and thoughts running through my mind. But I just couldn't find the time to sit down and type. The past two weeks have been a whirlwind of synchronicity with opportunities and challenges. I got picked up for another play and had to let go of an understudy assignment for another. I came down with strep throat again, lost my voice this time, and experienced the worst pain out of all six times I’ve had it (we'll discuss why six times later). I booked two commercial shoots and had to juggle that in between preparing for the new play which starts this Saturday :-O Crazy I know. I’ve had rehearsal everyday twice a day and I took on a project manager role for the play. The director resides out of town and we desperately needed a central contact person in the NYC side and who else would raise their hand but ME? (Shaking my head at my own self) But I take it all in stride because this has been one of the best experiences of my creative career thus far. I've learned so much from the director and my fellow cast members in the past weeks.

I recalled numerous conversations held with theatre folks, that I didn’t see myself in the area of theatre until my older years as an actress. I would say "I’m not trained, I don’t have time for that commitment, and I've never done any drama work so I’m fine with waiting my turn for the theatre world and will focus on film and TV in the meantime". Ha ha jokes on me because the Universe clearly had other plans in mind for my career. I've been so busy that I haven’t had much time to reflect until now... I'm doing a play yall!!! Like a real live, on stage for all to see every nook and cranny of my talent, PLAY! Oh my gracious! I just knew I had it all figured out didn’t I? NOT!!! Just goes to show that I am not in the driver seat of this thing called my Life. But it’s cool and I’m rolling with it. I’m not scared to walk through open doors especially when they're placed right in front of me. I could have dodged it and justified my way back to the complacency of my commercial world but nope, I’m rising to the challenge. And a challenge it has been. I have never worked harder for any performance in my career up to this point. I’m reading my 75 page script everyday all day, it goes where I go. It’s on my iPad, my phones, and I got a hard copy. Highlighters and pens right by my side to mark up and breakdown my character. One night I was so immersed in the script that I began to dream about the lines, I woke up in a panic and felt the need to rush back to the script and rehearse some more.

I've been going through it but it’s all a blessing and I thank God for the new opportunity and unexpected shift in my career. Ask, Seek, and Knock! I asked for new ways to stretch my creativity, I sought out postings on the casting websites, and when the opportunity was in front of me I knocked on that door and stepped right on through pushing my way to the front. Amen, Hallelujah, Praise God and then some!!! Peak behind every potential opportunity yall and don’t be afraid to jump out there and do something new. I'm about continuous improvement and I'm in this thang for the long haul so I'm ready for this season and looking for more open doors.

Peace yall!

No comments:

Post a Comment